Table of Contents
- Featured Article
- Tip of the Month
- Photo of the Month
- Did You Know?
- Featured Products
- Fly of the Month
- Courses and Seminars
- The scientific name for Steelhead is Oncorynchus mykiss
- There are two different migratory types of steelhead – known as summer-run and winter-run.
- Summer-run steelhead return to the rivers between spring and fall before they become adults. They mature in the rivers and spawn during the following spring.
- Winter-run steelhead are adults when they return to the rivers, so spawn shortly after returning.
- Like salmon, steelhead are anadromous: they return to their original hatching ground to spawn.
- Summer run steelhead can be taken on dead drifted or by “skating” dry flies. This is considered to be the holy grail of steelhead fly fishing.