Pacific Angler Retail Sales Associate
Job Title: Retail Sales Associate
Location: Vancouver, BC
Job Type: Full-time and part-time positions available
To Apply: Email your resume with cover letter in PDF format to Pacific Angler Operations Manager, Kathryn Sharp. Kathryn@pacificangler.ca.
Please indicate the specific position you are applying for (full or part-time) in the subject line and in your cover letter.
Pacific Angler – About us
Pacific Angler is Vancouver’s largest and most energetic, full service fishing pro shops. Our staff are avid, lifetime fishermen with a vast range of experience on rivers, lakes and ocean with a special love for and focus on British Columbia.
The Retail Sales Associate position is responsible for providing an unparalleled shopping experience by delivering legendary customer service and exceptional product knowledge to every customer. We are looking for a self-motivated team player with previous retail or related customer service experience and a passion for fishing to join our team.
If this is you, read on!
Essential Job Functions:
Customer Service and Sales
• Greet all customers promptly and courteously when they enter the store.
• Determine the specific needs of each person that enters the store and provide appropriate service and make recommendations based on needs.
• Ability to provide superior customer service and exceed customers expectations.
• Respond to and handle customer issues by using good judgment and logic in solving problems and making decisions within the job scope.
• Give accurate and current information about product and/or fishing inquiries; if the correct information is not at hand, do everything possible to provide an answer before the customer leaves the store.
• Increase customer base by adding new customers to the mailing list.
• Maintain a positive and cheerful attitude at all times.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Accuracy and attention to detail.
• Effective communication skills.
• Up-to-date computer skills with the aptitude to learn and utilize business programs.
• Apply the above standards to all phone inquiries.
Merchandising and Maintenance
• Perform merchandising duties: folding, hanging and displaying product.
• Maintain store image by adhering to the dress guidelines for Pacific Angler retail employees.
• Maintain a clean and well-organized back-stock area.
• Vacuum, sweep floors, empty all trash and perform other general cleaning duties daily.
Fishing Knowledge and Expertise
• Demonstrate a passion for fishing by maintaining knowledge of trends and emerging technologies that relate to the fishing lifestyle.
• Knowledge of various fishing products, including rods, reels, tackle and accessories.
• Extensive practical, multidiscipline, hands-on fishing experience (saltwater, freshwater, fly fishing).
• Thorough knowledge of local fisheries and emphasis on techniques used in local fisheries.
• In-depth understanding of freshwater and saltwater knots and rigs.
• Promote Pacific Angler guiding opportunities.
• Promote Pacific Angler classes and courses.
Fishing Community Activism
• Assist in identifying appropriate charitable organizations for possible Pacific Angler support.
• Educate yourself on corporate environmental and fishing campaigns so that you can educate customers on these issues.
• Get actively involved within the fishing community on appropriate issues.
• Report to work on time or notify in advance if absent or late
• Operate the cash register; it should be each employee’s goal to use the register without error and to be consistently accurate in money handling.
• Use correct procedure for processing returns, phone/mail orders, special orders and rentals.
• Practice security measures that help prevent theft; understand the procedures for handling shoplifters.
• Practice safety consciousness at all times.
Mentoring, Training and Employee Development
• Participate in all required Pacific Angler employee training, including new hire training, ongoing product and service training.
• Take advantage of additional training opportunities as they are offered.
• Continually able to stand/walk for extended periods of time, necessary to provide sales floor coverage related to customer service and loss prevention.
• Continually able to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel and carry product and other necessary store related items.
• Ability to regularly perform store maintenance activities: sweep, vacuum, empty trash and recycling, clean.
• Store is open 7 days per week. Number of scheduled hours per week varies. Must be able to work a minimum of one weekend day per week.
• It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.